Friday, September 23, 2011

LESSONS OF FAITH (St. Mary's Infirmary Part 4)

On another of my visits to the Infirmary I just experienced another first. My time in serving was more focused on the men but on this day, because we were a smaller group, I had to stop and serve in the women's area also.

I went down to a corner and there was a woman there that could not be more than mid thirties or younger. I had to wake her and ask if she wanted some of the soup we were serving and she nodded in the affirmative. I did not realize that she could not help herself at all.

Her arms were contorted and unusable, her face appeared as someone that was mentally handicapped and she was lying in a fetal position. I had to help her move into a comfortable position to have the soup I offered. As I helped her move into a good position to be fed it was apparent that I would have to feed her if she was to have soup that afternoon.

I had to get a spoon and patiently feed her with each spoonfull. After each one, I asked if she was ready for the other and she would nod with what I interpreted as a faint smile. After a few minutes of doing this, I had the sense, as she kept staring into my eyes that she must have been thinking who I was.

I had never sat with her before, never really noticed her before and I am sure she had not ever seen me come in that area before. As I sat and looked at her, diapered, incapable of helping herself - my thoughts ran into eternity and our meeting in heaven one day.

I could hear her say, although now unable to speak, "thank you for feeding me on that day!"

I am experiencing an inner change that no money, no building, no man or woman to bring about - ONLY THE LORD AND HIS HEART FOR THE LOST AND DYING OF OUR WORLD.

I finally finished with the young lady and moved on to the mens dormitory but this memory will last for my natural life, those eyes that stared into mine and the depth of thought that must have accompanied the stare. I may never what her complete thoughts were, but I do believe I heard a resounding "thank you" coming from that focused stare from my sister.

Lord help us to see as you do...

1 comment:

Lisa Sowry said...

I bet that was Princess, Pastor Watson. We "talk" a lot when I come to visit. She is very alert mentally and sharp! Ask her to pray for you...the Lord showed me she is an Intercessor and we have talked about what that means....well, she listens, nods and smiles. Tell her Lisa said hi and that I don't forget her and love her. She can really communicate with those eyes! I'm glad you could see her in there.