Sunday, September 11, 2011

LESSONS OF FAITH (The St. Mary Infirmary, Part 1)

I haven't written about much in the last few months but the lessons that I have been learning are some of the most profound of my life.

It seems that each event, each email, each person brings to bear such profound revelation from the Lord about the state of being - I sometimes wonder if we are all really in tune with the Holy Spirit. We say we are, we sometimes even speak of His inspiration, but I do perceive another that is inspiring a great portion of the body of Christ.

WHAT MINISTRY IS
Just this past week, totally unplanned, I had the opportunity to visit the local infirmary with Teri Barhorst who led the group to provide a meal to the residents. When we arrived on the compound we were greeted with the usual smiles and excitement that seems to just flow effortlessly from some of the residents.

Two young women in particular, obviously challenged in speech and mental ability seem to always have an enormous smile and warmth of presence as the ministry teams arrive. The recognition of Teri and others further brings more laughter, hugs and smiles.

HEART WARMING GRATITUDE
But as you walk beyond this first wave of residents you begin to see a bit more. We provided soup and water to the ladies - one woman so bitter in her heart it was palpable - but the Lord told me to smile and greet her each time I passed by her wheelchair. Another so sweet, said in such a soft tone to me, "don't waste the cup you can use it again." Others with eyes aflame with a heart of gratitude.

A PROFOUND ENCOUNTER
At the end of our time with them, I spoke with a man who said his name was Hanson. Now, he was articulate, knew where I was from in Kingston as I shared with him. My heart was drawn to hear, even a brief few words of his life's story and he told me of his fifteen years of being in bed recovering from a heart attack. I will tell more later, but the few minutes I spent with Mr. Hanson were profound ... May God bless him and keep him.

No comments: